Apr 20 2010
News and Follow-ups – 00:33
Geek Tool – 01:50
- Caspresso H20 Plus Glass Water Kettle – Super fast boiling water
Webapps – 06:17
- Google Local Business Center - Tell Google about your business and get insights into how people are searching for you.
- Photo Friday Monitor Calibrator – Free and pretty effective way to calibrate your monitor.
Topic – 14:43
- What is REST?
- A Software Architecture created by Roy Fielding in 2000 Who happens to be one of the principal authors of HTTP 1.0 and HTTP 1.1
- What does it stand for?
- Representational State Transfer
- Sites using REST
- Yahoo, Flickr
- SOAP/RPC Vs REST
- REST is an architectural guideline, SOAP is a protocol
- Biggest downside is that SOAP disregards many of HTTP’s existing capabilities such as authentication, caching, content type negotiation, etc.
- Everything in SOAP is handled in a HTTP POST.
- REST Verbs
- Shouldn’t matter if the second request goes to a different server than the first
- Authentication is provided with each request
- The same url should return the same data regardless of cookies or session data
- Ability to replace one server with another
- Load balancing
- Frameworks that support REST